Thursday, September 2, 2010

My First Greens Experience

So here's the thing. I'm not American. Therefore I have never made greens....I have to admit I was a little intimidated because yes it seems a simple dish but if it's not right it would be terrible!  I was going to a group event and was requested to make these green leaves. There was only one thing for me to do: Investigate!  I asked every American friend I knew what they did to make it taste good. I got all kinds of things, chicken broth, smoked turkey wings, salted/smoked pork belly, creole seasonings, turnip greens, kale, mixed...cook'em to death!  I do know from my palette that pork was the way to go(nevermind that healthy business) combined with the chicken broth. I also decided to used mixed greens because I liked the idea of getting different textures and flavors going. I love to layer flavor and heat and so of course white vinegar and hot sauce were essential along with creole seasonings.  After hours and I do mean HOURS of cooking I achieved such a harmonious, delicious, smoky and spicy dish that I was pressed to get feedback.  They were a hit and I was SO relieved. So too all my foodie friends who  helped make this a success thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment