Thursday, December 16, 2010

Snowy Day Inspiration!

I know it's been forever since my last foodie post but I was away getting inspired for the winter weather!  The treats of the season inspire all kinds of creativity that lead to yummilicious recipes for family and friends.  I really hope you join me on my new wave of savory and sweet ventures.  My most recent dabbling lead me to a decadent, holiday, comforting, warm, I could use more adjectives but just read the recipe and try it out!  I'm a strong believer in using what you have in your refrigerator so if there is any changes I would make to this, I would have used Challah bread! 

Snowy Day French Toast Bread Pudding



8 Bakery White Dinner rolls outer crusts lightly cut off
3 large eggs
1/4 cup Half and Half or heavy cream
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Ginger
1/8 tsp Fresh Nutmeg Grated
1 tsp Vanilla
1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
2 Tbsp Orange Juice OR Zest of 1/2 and Orange
1/4 to 1/2 cup Raisins(depending on your preference)
1/2 cup Orange(for soaking Raisins)
3 to 4 sprigs of Fresh Mint Leaves, finely chopped
6 Tbs Unsalted Butter

Preheat Oven to 350 degrees. Combine raisins and 1/2 cup orange juice in a small bowl set aside. Cut Rolls in half set aside. 

Whisk eggs, half & half, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, vanilla, honey or maple syrup, 2 Tbsp orange juice or zest in a medium sized bowl set aside.  In a small sauce pan over medium heat melt butter and add mint leaves reduce to low after 30 seconds let infuse for 2 minutes. 

Pour mint infused butter into a 9" square baking dish making sure the bottom of the dish is fully covered use a pastry brush to  move some of the butter onto the sides. Lay the sliced bread into the dish(it's great if they touch that's what you want) and pour custard on top. Let sit for at least 15 minutes turning halfway to make sure the bread gets soaked all through.  Drain raisins and scatter on the top. Bake in preheated oven for 50-55 minutes the bread will puff up! Dust with a light sprinkle of confectioners sugar(optional).Serve with warm maple syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment